Usually I would advise, even before you start your next project build, to have a firm plan of what kind of bike you want to build and how to do it.

So I start out on my next project build, which is to be a diesel powered motorcycle…and the bike of choice? A 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing! 

Nobody’s ever built a diesel Goldwing before, I think, so as it already carried a big lump of an engine and it was shaft driven…all looked Rosie!

Then the choice of engine…well what better than a turbo diesel car engine! Yeah that’ll really piss off the purists!!

So like the bull that I am, I source and bought a TDi engine and gearbox with the idea to run a prop shaft from the gearbox to the rear final drive…genius!

That’s when things started to go a bit pear shaped! Firstly the engine was going to be virtually impossible to run properly without all of the much needed vehicle sensors and the final drive ratio was also going to be a big problem too.

You see, I didn’t want this build to be a show bike or even a ridiculous invention that wasn’t practical either. It had to be a fully functional motorcycle that rode and handled correctly, albeit with a slower Diesel engine.

So I looked into a mid shaft spur gear arrangement that would fix the ratio and shaft rotation too at the final drive and whilst all seemed plausible, it started to fall down on the overall size of the bike which would be way too long for decent road use.

So the car engine idea was scrapped and engine was put up for sale. Isn’t it funny how easy it is to buy things you think you might need but an absolute bitch to sell something that you don’t need in a hurry!

So the next idea was to buy a mini digger Diesel engine and use a separate unit motorcycle gearbox, such as from a BMW K75 or K100 and marry the two together, then stick that into the Goldwing chassis. Of course there would have to be lots of cutting and welding to accommodate the engine and gearbox…plus the Goldwing prop shaft would have to be mated to the K75 shaft…so big headache ahead.


Whilst waiting for the new compact Diesel engine to arrive, it dawned on me that one of the greater challenges would be to get the output shaft f

rom the K75 gearbox, which I had recently acquired, to mate up with the prop shaft of the Goldwing and the amount of wasted space needed to accomplish this.

So after some head scratching and realising that the Goldwing frame was just too nice to randomly attack with a reciprocating saw and mig welder, I have decided to sell the Goldwing and now concentrate my efforts on just putting in a compact Diesel engine into a BMW k75 or K100 rolling chassis…which would be much less stressful on my noggin too.

So off the scour the ads for the next donor bike, engine arrives this week and now selling the GL.

This diesel bike saga continues